Thursday, October 7, 2010

Walking with Big Shoes


Keep on Truckin' by Robert Crumb

Mom walking in her big shoes. Max Witter, 6 years old.



I've always been amazed by children's art and inspired by my own kids' pictures. This painting above, right, was inspired by a drawing my son did of a figure in the same pose (above). Later someone pointed out that it resembled that iconic figure by Robert Crumb, from Zap Comix; 1967. I remember some great images from Mad magazine in the 70's but was too young for Zap. The unusual pose is what struck me about this; walking with the arms behind the head. It's odd to see the arms in a relaxed state while the lower body is moving. My son said it was a portrait of me "walking with my big shoes". My shoes were too big that year, from  swollen feet during my pregnancy with Jack. In the painting I wanted to express a feeling of pure happiness. But I included a wasp under the leading foot; signifying the comic/tragic nature of life. That's our old house up there, overlooking the Missouri river.

No comments:

Post a Comment